Thursday, May 23, 2013

Spicy Salt

For Mother's Day this year I'm making my mom homemade seasonings. (I realized I'm a little late on Mother's Day, but better late than never, right?)

I just finished my first of four seasonings - originally named Seasoned Salt, but I've renamed it "Spicy Salt" after my recent "quality control" taste. :)

This was my first time making seasonings, so here are a few tips I learned along the way:
- Check your grocery store's International Food aisle for cheaper spices. (At my Giant Eagle, 2.5 ounces of Ancho Chili Powder was $6.49, but in the International aisle it was only $1.79).
- My Walmart has bagged spices that I found to be "one step fresher" which allowed me to ground my own spices rather than buying ground ones. (Cumin, Parsley, Thyme, etc).
- Check out the food aisle in your TJ Maxx or Marshalls - You will most likely be able to find your salt and pepper there. I got a cheap pepper mill to grind my pepper balls rather than buying pre-ground; you can also buy coarse sea salt and zip it in your food processor for 15 seconds to get a "mildly coarse" salt.

Spicy Salt Receipe: 

1/4 cup + 1 Tbs. (5 Tbs.) (home-ground) coarse sea salt
1/4 cup fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 Tbs. chili powder
2 Tbs. paprika
2 Tbs. dried parsley
2 Tbs. crushed red pepper flakes (chop in your food processor for 15 seconds)
2 Tbs. cumin (chop in your food processor for 15 seconds)
3 teaspoons cayenne pepper (you could do less for less "bite")

No comments:

Post a Comment