Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Soup #2 - Minestrone

 [Amazing] Minestrone Soup

Ingredients:
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth [next time, I'm going to double the broth]
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes [all I had on hand were garlic & olive oil flavored - it added a nice flavor]
1 (15-ounce) can white (cannellini or navy) beans, drained [oops, I only had pinto]
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried sage [I didn't have any sage, so I used savory]
2 bay leaves [I still don't have any whole leaves, just flakes]
Salt and ground black pepper
2 cups cooked ditalini pasta
1 medium zucchini, chopped [I didn't have any, so we did without]
2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

Directions:
In a slow cooker, combine broth, tomatoes, beans, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, sage, bay leaves, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.

Thirty minutes before the soup is done cooking, add ditalini, zucchini and spinach. Cover and cook 30 more minutes. Remove bay leaves and season, to taste, with salt and black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle parmesan cheese over top.

No comments:

Post a Comment