Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas Tradition #5

3 years ago, after my grandfather passed away, my family started a new tradition - the white envelope.

Somewhere in sermon preparations, my father found the most touching story about a father who hated the materialism of the Christmas season. For Christmas one year, his wife purchased sports uniforms for an inner city sports team - she didn't tell anyone what she had done in honor of her husband until Christmas morning. After all the other presents were opened, the children finally noticed a white envelope that had been tucked into the tree branches. Upon opening the envelope, the wife's letter explained her husband's Christmas gift that year was the gift of sports uniforms to local children. Blessing someone in their community quickly became a holiday tradition.

Over the past 3 years, my parents have kept this tradition going in honor of my grandfather. This year, Josh and I started our own white envelope gift. It was a special time praying and discussing where God would have us give this holiday season. Buying grocery and gas gift cards for an under-privileged family in our church was definitely the highlight of my holiday season. I'm already looking forward to next year.

What do you do during the holidays to remember the real reason for the season?

No comments:

Post a Comment