Monday, August 20, 2012

Cream Mints


I just love easy recipes, the only ones worth having, in my opinion. This recipe is a “double whammy” – only a few ingredients, and it only took me 30 minutes from start to finish!

What you will need:
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon extract (you can use any flavor you want - I used raspberry)
- food coloring (optional) - I used Wilton's "Rose"
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar (You will just need to add it slowly to test the firmness of the mixture)
- about 1/4 cup superfine or granulated sugar (optional)

Instructions:
1. Mix your cream cheese until it is soft, less than two minutes
2. Add in your extract of choice and food coloring, if desired
3. Mix together
4. Add your powered sugar to the mix – doing only ½ a cup at a time to allow for it to mix easily
5. Add sugar until you have a firm mix (If you add too much and more sugar won’t mix – simply add a little more cream cheese to soften up the mix).
6. Roll mixture into balls slightly larger than a dime (you could really do any size you wanted, but I think this size is good for the flavor/sweetness that theses treats pack.
7. OPTIONAL - roll the ball in sugar (You definitely don't need to do this - I think it gives a more polished finished look and makes it easier to flatten in the next step).
8. Flatten ball with a fork (I suggest only going 1 way across the ball - so you get "stripes" and not "checkers" as you get when making peanut butter cookies).
9. Throw mints into the fridge for 30 minutes to harden up.
10. Store in air-tight container in fridge with wax paper between layers for up to 2 weeks.
11. ENJOY!

I LOVE that you can make these any flavor or color to match a party theme. My mom does peppermint flavored ones at Christmas!

If you try this recipe - which flavors and colors did you try?

No comments:

Post a Comment