Saturday, August 11, 2012

DIY Frame Chalkboard

This Pinterest inspired project has been one of my favorites! (and easiest!)

I wanted to make a chalkboard to take my "weekly bump pictures" as well as for the nursery. I went to Goodwill and bought a cool old-looking frame and painted the frame with simple wood paint. You could do this to give it texture or a pattern, but I wanted something simply. For the chalkboard, I actually just covered the painting that was already inside the frame, but you could paint the backing to the frame, or a piece of wood you adapt to be the back.

I've actually had to repaint the chalkboard portion once already. I first painted it with the generic brand paint - but each time I used it, it didn't really erase and after a while it was looking really dingy. So I recently just repainted the chalkboard with Martha Steward's chalkboard paint - and I'm much happier with the result - so I recommend purchasing nicer paint.

2 comments:

  1. I was just about to buy the cheaper brand chalkboard paint and I saw this post! Thanks! I will be sure to get the Martha Stewart brand =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really will make the difference. How did your project turn out? (If you have a smart phone, you can get the Joann's app - and they add at least 2 coupons a week - so you can get Martha Stewart for 1/2 price which makes it the same price as the cheaper brand!)

      Delete