Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Disciple Making at Home

Over the last year my church, North Way Christian Community, has focused on Jesus’ call to make disciples. The command to “go and make disciples” was one of His last on this earth; I’ve been greatly challenge with what I’ve been doing with that mandate.

I find this repeatedly colliding with a desire for deeper purpose is this season of staying home with my babies.

Certainly Christ calls us to witness to the un-reached nations, and for me in this stage, I spend most of my time with two little beautiful un-reached hearts.  

“If anyone would come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for Me and for the gospel will save it. What is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?” [Mark 8:34-36]

What is it for me to raise well behaved kids, yet forfeit their souls?

What is it for me to teach colors and letters, yet forfeit their souls?

What is it for me to raise my kids in religion, yet forfeit their souls?

There has to be more to raising these young babes than teaching manners, math, and the miracles of the Bible. Help them know the man behind the miracles. The grace flowing through the miracles. The love demonstrated to them through the miracles of long ago and of seconds ago in our own home.
There has to be a way to walk transparently alongside them as they watch wide-eyed to see how truly knowing the King changes me. Changes my words. Changes my passions. Changes my priorities.

This year, God has pressed into my heart that for our family, in this period, we are to homeschool our babies. Right now, for me specifically, this is my primary mission field. Raising little Christ-lovers is foremost in my heart, in my calling, in my life.

In A Discipleship Journey David Buehring says, “Disciples are instructed, corrected, encouraged and coached along in a discipleship journey.” I’m committing to walk alongside my babies; instructing, correcting, encouraging and coaching.  Keeping them home to teach them in His Word to nourish their hearts in His love, His Word, His ways.

I'll add more about our homeschooling journey here, I'm working to figure out a way to share a few files I've created as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment