Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Preschool - Creation Week 2

Ironic, I know. Taking two weeks to cover creation says nothing of my personal beliefs re: a literal 7-day creation, don't worry, Dad. Although I will say teaching something to someone else, even a preschooler, definitely makes you think through information you have heard your entire life under new light. Josh and I have had some fun creation-related conversations lately.

Ella is really loving school - which makes it so much fun to do. In general, I'm aiming to do two mornings a week for a few hours - about 30 minutes while Evie crawls around chewing of everything, and then the rest while Evie takes her morning nap. However, Ella asks to do school at least 4 times a day, so sometimes we do a little adhoc activity.

So - most importantly - the memory verse. Obvious choice: Genesis 1:1

Sorry, I don't remember where I got this image, but it was a free image off Google if that helps you find again.

I continued to use the flannel graph-looking story aids from Keeping Life Creative - Ella loves them. 





 We did a little over the weekend on Day 3 of creation - plants. 

Last week we went to our friends, Collin & Leah, house and they let Ella harvest some beans and seeds from their garden. So we planted our little seeds - and I'm seriously hoping that these little guys sprout at least something. She is so excited and waters them diligently every day.



Day 5 - fish
Sorting Big F and little f. Nemo is a personal favorite of Ella's so this was a great activity for her.
snack of goldfish and Swedish fish.
I found these awesome window clings at the dollar store. Ella loves figuring out which letter came next and adding it to the window. Also - I learned that a narwhal is a real animal.
A few books we read. The first is basically "The 3 little pigs" and this was my first time reading "One fish, two fish..." Ella was thoroughly confused by the strange creatures, and honestly I didn't love. Teacher fail.

Day 5 - Birds. 
She sorted through her Little People animals and picked out all of  the birds.


Glue stick at home - oh my! Ella normally only uses glue at the library...because why make a mess at home? But she loved this - must have the purple glue sticks though! :) 
Day 6 - animals.

size sequencing. Resource from CreativePreschoolResources.com
animal puzzles from the Zoo Tot Pack from 3dinosaurs.com

animal matching - found this at a yardsale - already laminated - for 25 cents!!!


 Graphing with an animal die. This was definitely a challenging concept, so we will continue to work on it. I turned it into snack time, so she had to graph all the goldfish before she could eat them, so that might have added to the confusion. This is also from the Zoo Tot Pack at 3dinosaurs.com - part 6 of the pack if you want to download.


animal flashcards.
 I started doing this shape tracing activity with her during the summer - love my laminator - and she has improved so much. Below, her tracing isn't great but the next picture shows how well she is doing. It's a small victory - but definitely keeps me motivated that she is learning and improving.

Not a great picture, but you can see how well she actually did tracing the shapes with the pink marker.
coloring with markers - oh the joy!
 A little chalk review of creation.

Here are the books that I used for creation.  I recommend the 2 on the bottom most.

And for animals specifically. Ella loves the Animal Encyclopedia and it's cool to show her how many types of one animal there are. She normally gets confused if we see a different variety of monkey, but seeing them all together made sense to her; we just talked about God's creativity making them look special.

No comments:

Post a Comment